In the pursuit of youth, proper skin care is paramount. Today, modern technology in cosmetic dermatology and cutting-edge, non-invasive, products enable us to restore and retain the elasticity, fullness and other hallmark qualities of youthful, healthy skin that are so often lost to time and improper care.
Botox is a cosmetic injectable treatment that can enhance youthful beauty by softening, reducing, and occasionally eliminating fine lines and wrinkles due to muscle action. Counted among the three main groups of nonsurgical facial rejuvenation techniques, Botox and other modulators will “relax” muscle action to reduce wrinkles.
The three cornerstones of nonsurgical minimal downtime approaches to facial rejuvenation are:
- RELAX – softening and smoothing lines and wrinkles by reducing the effects of muscle action with Botox Cosmetic, Dysport®, or Myobloc®
- REFILL – restoring volume to areas where soft tissue has been lost or to deeper lines and wrinkles with injectable facial fillers, including Restylane®, Juvederm®, Voluma, Belotero®, Sculptra®, Radiesse®, fat grafting, and others
- RESURFACE – improving tone and texture of skin, and resurfacing with laser and light modalities, chemical peel, or dermabrasion
Botox Cosmetic is the trade name of the botulinum neuromuscular modulator that is used most commonly today. Other modulators that smooth fine lines and wrinkles as a result of muscle action include Dysport and Myobloc, both of which have onset, duration of action, and effectiveness that is similar to Botox Cosmetic.
Botox Cosmetic for Facial Rejuvenation
- Glabellar wrinkles – the vertical lines, often called the “11s” between the brows
- Forehead wrinkles – the transverse lines of the forehead that result from eyebrow elevation
- Crow’s feet – the fine lines at the corners of the eyes
- Bunny lines – the lines at the bridge of the nose
- Vertical lip lines – the wrinkles above and below the lips
- Corner droop – the slight descent or frown of the corners of the mouth
- Platysmal bands – the muscle bands of the neck
Botox for Migraine Headaches
In patients who were treated with Botox for wrinkles of the forehead and face due to muscle action, in those who coincidentally previously suffered from migraine headaches, a large number experienced a reduction or complete resolution in migraine headaches. Botox for migraines is now an FDA-approved indication for the treatment of headaches.
Hyperhidrosis – Botox for Sweating
While the effects of Botox on lines and wrinkles has been well known, another effect noted initially in regions that were treated with Botox was a reduction in sweat production. This has led to treatments of other areas where excess sweating can be problematic. Treatment of the underarms, palms, and feet with Botox can dramatically reduce or completely stop sweating for the duration of Botox action in the treated area, which may last for approximately six months.
Injectables & Facial Fillers
Cosmetic injectables are treatments that can enhance beauty and restore youthfulness with minimal or no downtime. These rapid and effective aesthetic treatments play an invaluable role in the hierarchy of cosmetic plastic surgery, albeit without surgery. Advancements in the technology of injectibles and fillers have considerably improved the efficacy of these products over the years. It is not common for a professional surgeon to directly administer these products but it truly makes a difference.
These approaches are complimentary and any one or a combination of these treatments can be chosen to soften, smooth, fill, or tighten to improve appearance comfortably, safely, and without surgery. These nonsurgical cosmetic injectable treatments can be a rapid and effective means of maintaining and restoring youth and beauty. Of course, in situations where more architectural “resuspension” is required (think of a drooping jowl, lax neck, or excess eyelid skin), procedures that require more downtime may be required.
Which are the Best Facial Fillers?
Choosing the best facial fillers is akin to an artist selecting from among different paints on a palette. The right filler will be chosen based on your specific anatomic needs and your particular desires. Occasionally, different fillers may be selected in the same treatment session, as there is no one facial filler that is the “best” for every situation. While not a comprehensive list, some of the facial fillers most commonly recommended
- Belotero Balance®
- Juvederm® XC
- Juvederm Voluma® XC
- Fat Grafting